From a very humble beginning more than a Century ago, the BVS Parsi School has become an institution of distinction.
– The Zoroastrian residents of Karachi feeling the need for imparting religious education and knowledge of Gujrati, opened on 23rd May 1859, “The Parsi Balakshala” or children’s school.
– In June 1862 Seth Shapurji Hormusji Soparivala was appointed the Secretary of the school. In May 1870, Seth Shahpurji Hormusji Soparivala in memory of his late wife, Bai Virbaiji Soparivala, donated his personal two story house on Frere Street, (valued Rs. 10,000/-) to be used as a coeducation vernacular school. Thereafter, the school was named the Parsi Virbaiji School. The opening ceremony was performed on 24th September 1870, by the Commissioner in Sindh, Sir William Mereweather.
– In 1875, the school became an Anglo-Vernacular school, as English was now taught in the higher classes and in 1898 the Kindergarten was introduced as well. The school had by now expanded and finding the Frere Street house too small, the founding family purchased the present piece of land from the Karachi Municipality and constructed a new school building consisting of a ground and first floor. The foundation stone was laid on 10th October 1904 and the building was commissioned by Seth Khursedji Shapurji Soparivala on 24th March 1906, the eleventh death anniversary of the Late Seth Shapurji Hormusji Soparivala.
– On 1 April 1918 the girls section of the school was separated and commenced to function on the 1st floor of the building. However, in June 1919 the girls’ school shifted to its present location of Mama School.
– From 1922, English was also taught in the primary classes and the school now became a High School, and was renamed the “Bai Virbaiji Soparivala Parsi School” in July 1922.
– In 1924 a second story was added to the building by the Soparivala family and that is how the school stands today.
– Through the efforts of the Managing Committee and Principal, technical classes were organized in the school and in June 1946 a Technical Workshop Building started to function.
– In 1947, after the partition of the Subcontinent, on the personal request to the elders of the Parsi community by the Quaid-I-Azam, Mr. Mohammad Ali Jinnah, the school immediately opened its doors to all Muslim and other non Parsi children of the new nation.
– On 23 May 1958, the school commenced with the Centenary celebrations and the entire Parsi community participated in the various functions that were organized.
The School, thereafter, has gained from strength to strength, and endeavours to keep up with modern times and the latest trends in education.